Monday, April 1, 2013

Homemade Playdough

Last summer, we made this awesome play dough with my Aunt Shannon.  We played with it all the time and then we moved and had to get rid of it.  So we decided to make some more here in Australia.

Here is the stuff you need.

And here is the recipe.


1 C Flour
1/2 C salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp oil
1 C water
food coloring
Mix flour, salt & cream of tartar together, then add oil, water and a few drops of food coloring.  Cook in a saucepan on medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.  I consider it done once it pulls away from the edges and stays on the spoon.  It will still be really gooey, but if you knead it on the counter it will be great.  


You can make it whatever color you would like but we did purple, of course, because it's my favorite! 

Here is the finished product. 
 Here is my brother, Will and my sister, Ava, and me all having fun with the playdough.






 It was so much fun to play with, here is a mountain I made.







Have fun making your own! 

4 comments:

  1. Nice, Lily. The play dough looks like a fun craft project. You are learning and teaching us some many crafty things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily, you have such a fun blog. I like seeing all the things you, Will & Ava make. You and your mom make a great team. You have so many good ideas. This project reminded me of putting several long pieces of clay together and making a pitcher in an art class. It started out looking like the 3rd picture up from here. Then I bent the pieces and added more it turned into a coiled pitcher when I was done. You are right playing with clay is fun. I'm anxious to see what you make next. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for sharing the recipe Lily! I needed a good recipe. You guys worked really hard to make lots of fun things out of it. Good choice on the purple coloring too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the same recipe I used to make play dough with your mom when she and her brothers and sisters were little! It does make great play dough!

    ReplyDelete